Friday, January 30, 2009

Happy birthday, honey….


I said the words to you, then I kissed your chubby cheek, and I hugged you close and tenderly.

Should have been. That’s how it should have been. At least, that’s how I’ve imagined should have been. But look at what I did then. I said this in front of your gravestone. No birthday cake with candle you’d blow with your tiny mouth. Or the warmth of family sitting together. No laugh, spoil pout, funny look, fussy lips and your cheerful face.

Only red soil heap, piled with a stone, written on with your name, your birthday and your pass away date, which even still in the same year. Pain covered my time and space. Tears, sadness, heartache, sorrow….

I spread out the last grab of flowers I brought. I rubbed your epitaph once again, and I sent you a warm loving kiss.

***

You have become my life since the first second I saw you. More than the time I realized your existence inside me. Yes, finding that you are a part of me that I finally could touch and hold. Seeing you so frail, I had to take care of you, protect you. You have became my everything.

Miracle by miracle you brought to my eyes has filled my life and my heart. Endear me, eager to always give you the best, to sacrifice. To give you anything you wish, nothing no for you.

I could still hear you laughing. Your innocent eyes that wouldn’t let me let you hurt. Your humbly mumbling, but I could understand what you desired.

I could still remember every single movement you made, from the simple one, to your first ever step. How you slowly rose up. Then you looked at me who was few steps away. You looked at me like trying to say,’ Mommy, I’m coming to you. Reach for me, don’t let me fall…’ So I reached to you and you move slightly. One step, one more step... faster…. Faster… until you hit me. I hugged you as a congratulations for you effort, and you looked at me with shiny eyes, ‘I did it… I did it…’

I never thought it was the beginning of your end. As you walked more steady and stable, you desire became stronger. You wanted to stop crawling. And you wanted to explore more, to satisfy you curiosity of everything you see, and everything you wanted to see.

***

I stared at you photo again, with the wild flower crown I made for you. The flowers we picked from the garden behind our house. You stood still and let me put it on. Your puffy tiny nose, tell me that you are the most beautiful girl in the world.

‘beauty, na…’

‘Yes, my dear. Na beautiful…’

You, are the most beautiful princess in the world. You are the world to me. Your pass away have grabbed my world, that have became alive with your presence, it grabbed even my whole life before it….

I looked away to the street, through the opened front door. I regret, though I know it is no use, the day I let it open and left you play here alone in this room, while I was preparing water to bathe you. I could still clearly hear the wheels squeaking, and a neighbor screaming.

Frantically I ran out the house and screamed, seeing your little body laid right before that white sedan’s nose, splashed some red on it. My sight suddenly darkened…

I hold your picture tighter close to my chest and feel the pain again. Losing you, my little angel. Everybody told me not to blame myself, but how can I tell myself the same?. Today you should have been one year old. I never wanted to make a big party, with balloons filling the room, or guests bringing presents. I only wanted to be with you, and your dad, thank God for all blesses He gave us, and wish for more to fall over…

I tried to face the reality. But I still can not stop these tears from overflowing each time I remember you, and I remember you in every single beat of my heart….

Happy birthday, Na….

****************

for this week's sundayscribblings prompt: regrets

11 comments:

linda may said...

This is so heart breaking. I pray to God this did not happen to you and it is a writing of fiction.

Anonymous said...

my heart aches!!!
i wish you all the goodness in life. hope this is a start to no more regrets!!

floreta said...

i can't tell if this is fiction. my deepest sympathy if it is not. this is truly heartwrenching!! i could cry to this..

latree said...

this is a fiction, but I was pulled into it while writing it. I was crying.

Tumblewords: said...

Well done, then. It rings as non-fiction. Heartbreaking. I am glad to know it's fiction!

John E. Tran said...

Wow, I'm so glad to hear this is "only" fiction. Just goes to show you - words are so powerful.

Patois42 said...

Thank you for saying it's fiction. Although it happens, I am so grateful it did not happen to you. Or to me.

paisley said...

i cannot see that there could be any pain greater than losing a child....

Larraine said...

This goes beyond regret. It is lovely though. The pain of losing a child is something that goes beyond the normal pain. You've caught it here.

Roan said...

I'm thrilled to know this is a fictional piece. I can feel the tears you shed while writing.

nino said...

wow.. koq Kalo bikin fiksi, ga pernah kliatan fiksi sih.. caranya gimana?