Saturday, September 20, 2008

"I'm getting married, Ton", I said

"Oh really? When?"
"In two months"
"Ah, it is still a long time to come"
Well, not to me, Ton. I'm so impatiently waiting.

"So, should I invite you or not?"
"Sure you should"
"And would you come?"
"Of course I will"

A little more conversation and I hang up the phone.

***
Toni was my ex boyfriend.
We had that relationship when we were in high school. One day we had to go to college and we went separate way, we enrolled different universities in different cities. I didn't want to break up. He was still the man I loved and wanted to get married with, that time.
But one day, for one reason, he said we could not go on. He said he was tired of long distance relationship. Well I would say he was tired of me. So we said goodbye.
I'm not a kind of girl who get my heart broken, break down and cry. My life went on. I had boy friends around me, and one day one has become my boy friend, taking Toni's place. He was the boy I was talking about, the one I was about to marry.

***
One day, on my birthday. A postman came to me and handed me a letter, from Toni.
He said (wrote): Happy birthday, dear. I just realized how empty life is without you.

I stood still. You realize some thing's worthy, when it's gone. Now that he's kicked me out, he said life is empty without me?
I had some one who loved me beside me? What he did he think I would do?
So I wrote him back, "I'm sorry, you are too late"
He said he understood, and he told me to hang on with the one I was with. But he still kept calling, and wrote me letters, and visited me.
"Can I at least have you as my sister?"
"That's fine to me"
Things went that way for years...

***

The day came, my wedding.
I kept my eye on the guests. I couldn't see Toni. But later when the event was over, and everybody was in the house, taking some rest after the tiring day, some body knocked the door.

I opened the door and found Hera, Toni's sister with a young man beside him.
"Hi, Hera. What a surprise! Come on in.." I let them come in and had seats.
After some blah blah, I finally asked Hera, the first question that crossed my mind when I opened the door for her.

"Toni, he's not coming?"
"No, he told me to say hi to you, and wish you a happy marriage"
"He asked for an invitation, and he said he would come"
"I know. But he told us, he didn't know you meant it. He thought you were kidding and he was kinda shocked to receive that. He was still hoping you both could be together again"

What do you expect me to say?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I have to tell you I enjoyed your tale and guess you had me in a mystery for a moment right to the end.

Anonymous said...

Good Writing. You caught me off guard there for a moment I could not tell which way you were going. Like a little mystery. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Denial never helps anyone. Poor guy - poor girl. She was honest - so he can't say she didn't tell him so.

Captivating. :)

Tumblewords: said...

Nicely told - the twist at the end is perfect!

rosa devga said...

so sweet....

Darla said...

Oh, I like the story! It has such of a real life twist to it. Life doesn't always go as one would expect it to go.

(I bumped into your blog from Carrie's...Keiser Family)

Anonymous said...

Happy wedding Ton